Friday 8 March 2013

Day 4: Voices Against Violence


Yesterday was one of my favourite days.

The events I went to were mainly to do with World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).  The first one was a panel discussing stopping violence against girls, and promoting Girl Guide’s new non-formal education program called "Voices Against Violence".  This program is split up into age groups, to keep things age appropriate. Some of the things they do in the program include:
-     Empowering girls/ boys to be leaders
-     The girls/boys learn to talk about violence and use their voices.
-     Helps create safe spaces for girls.
-     Breaks down negative stereotypes

This event was important to me because appealed to my age group more than the others. Their program is targeted towards youth and there were many youth I could relate to at the event. It featured an informal play; this method is used in the actual program. The play was about how to stand up for yourself and stay firm if someone, like a boyfriend/girlfriend tries to control you and your decisions. I thought this method was really effective, I can see it working with the kids in the program.

Some things I have learned are that:
-     Seven in ten girls will experience violence in their lifetime.
That number is way too high!
-     ¼ of girls will experience one or more episodes of violence in their lifetime.
-     60 million girls are assaulted at or on their way to school.

These things happen to girls my age or even younger.

An 18 year old girl from Madagascar spoke at the session. She spoke about the issues facing Madagascar.
There are different forms of violence- not easily seen, invisible.
65% of girls and women experience violence.
Many girls don’t have money to attend school.
Parents STOP educating their kids at 7-10 years old.
Every year 1000 children disappear.

These statistics shocked me. I have never known too much about Madagascar, nor do I believe many people have. The reason it shocked me, personally, is that it is a place that is not focused on much, but needs people to help address the violence, just like any other place facing these issues.

Afterwards, I went to the Girl Guide reception, where I met many amazing women. Everyone was very friendly and it made me feel empowered. The Girl Guide leaders did a flash mob dance to One Billion Rising.
Later, VOW had a dinner at the Nations Café, where we had Cora Weiss, Betty Reardon, and Tony Jenkins, speak to us. It was really interesting,
Here are some pictures that I took yesterday

World Association of Girl Guides & Scouts panel

Waggs demonstration of non formal education 


UN Executive Director, Michelle Bachelet. 

A campaign to stop the violence

Some pretty cool programs and badges!

The head of World Association of Girl Guides & Scouts,
Mary McPhail

Add caption

Got invited to their party and met a lot of really nice girls here.

They did the One Billion Rising dance and changed it up a bit too...

No comments:

Post a Comment